Third Party Advertisers

Third Party Advertisers


Key Date

Registration Period: between May 2, 2022 and October 21, 2022

Contact the Municipal Clerk to arrange to file your Notice of Registration Form during this period. Click on the "How to Register" box below for more information.


If a person, corporation or trade union intends to spend money between May 2, 2022 and Voting Day (October 24, 2022), on advertisements or other materials that support, promote or oppose a candidate in the municipal election they are required to register as a Third Party Advertiser with the Municipal Clerk.


  What is a Third Party Advertisement

An advertisement in any medium that has the purpose of promoting or supporting or opposing a candidate(s) or a 'yes' or 'no' to a question on a ballot.

Note: there is/are no question(s) on the ballot for the 2022 municipal election in Englehart

  What is NOT a Third Party Advertisement

  • An advertisement by and under the direction of a candidate;
  • Where no expenses are incurred by the person/entity in relation to the advertisement;
  • When given or transmitted by an individual to employees, by a corporation to its shareholders, directors, members or employees or by a trade union to it's members or employees;
  • Advertising that does not cost money to post or to broadcast, such as comments made on social media, will not be considered to be third party advertising.

Rules for Third Party Advertising

  Requirements & Restrictions

No individual, corporation or trade union is permitted to incur expenses for a third party advertisement that appears during the restricted period unless they are a registered third party. Restricted period is the date registration is filed and ends at the close of voting on Voting Day.

Contributions by corporations and trade unions to candidates are banned, however, corporations and trade unions can contribute to third party advertisers. Money, goods and services are considered contributions.

The following are permitted to contribute:

  • An individual who is normally a resident of Ontario;
  • A corporation that carries on business in Ontario;
  • A trade union that holds bargaining rights for employees in Ontario; and
  • The registered third party and in the case of an individual, his or her spouse (subject to s.88.12(5)).


  • Cannot be made or accepted unless registered as a third party
  • Maximum contribution from a single contributor is $1,200 to a registered third party and $5,000 to two or more registered third parties in a municipality.

These contribution limits do not apply to the registered third party if the contribution is made by themselves and the same for an individual third party advertiser, along with his or her spouse.


  • Subject to maximum expense limit (prescribed formula based on the number of electors entitled to vote);
  • Required to record expenses and file a financial statement.

A fundraising function relating to third party advertisements that are to appear during an election cannot be held for an individual, corporation or trade union that is not registered as a third party in a municipality and cannot be held outside the campaign period.

  Mandatory Information in Advertisements

The third party advertiser must be registered at the time of the advertisement.

The ad must contain the following:

  • Name of registered third party;
  • The municipality where the third party is registered;
  • A telephone number, mailing address or email address at which the third party may be contacted regarding the advertisement.

A registered third party is not permitted to allow a third party advertisement to appear during the restricted period unless the broadcaster/publisher has been provided the following in writing:

  • Name of the registered third party;
  • Municipality where third party is registered; and
  • Name, business address and telephone number of individual under direction of registered third party.

The broadcaster/publisher retains records with respect to the above, copy of the advertisement/means of reproducing it and the cost. They must retain the record for four years after the date of the appearance of the advertisement and permit inspection during normal business hours.

  Municipal Authority to Remove Advertisements

A municipality may require the following to remove to discontinue the advertising:

  • a person who has contravened the provisions for third party advertisers or caused/permitted the contravention;
  • the owner or occupier of the land on which the contravention occurred;
  • a third party advertiser in contravention with the Municipality's Election Sign By-Law.

Third party advertisers are required to identify themselves on campaign advertisements and signs so that it is clear who is responsible for each sign and advertisement that appears or is broadcast.

There is no spending cap on signs.

For more information view the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing's Registered Third Party Guide


Potential third party advertisers are required to make an appointment with the Municipal Clerk to ensure they qualify to register. Please call or email the Municipal Clerk to make an appointment to file your registration form.

Ineligibility to Register

The following are not permitted to register:

  • Municipal election candidates;
  • Federal and Provincial political parties, constituency associations, registered candidates and leadership contestants;
  • Federal and Provincial government, a municipality or local board.

Requirement to file outside of the Town of Englehart

If third party advertisers want to advertise in more than one municipality, they will have to register in each of the municipalities where they intend to advertise.


The registration period for a third party advertiser for the next municipal election is May 2, 2022 to October 21, 2022. 

 Filing Fees

There is no registration fee for third party advertising, but the Municipal Clerk must examine the registration and then certify the notice of registration if deemed compliant, or reject the registration.